Tuesday, January 27, 2015

No Longer Foreign

This one isn't quite dystopian, but it speaks to a common dystopian concept that foreign=fear. I especially think of the reference in 1984 where the collection that makes up Big Brother uses the fearful and hateful news of the war to help stabilize the people's support. Also in Brave New World, the "savages" with their values and emotions, are shown as less than human to keep the people from wanting those things in their lives. Who would want family values? That's what the savages want.

I hope this helps you seen "foreign" in a different light; as something that can be celebrated instead of despised; as something beautiful and extraordinary, instead of fearful and wretched; as an opportunity to learn, instead of mocking.

No Longer Foreign
I remember the first time I saw a globe as child. I spun it around and ran my fingers along the surface to feel the small bumps and ridges that made up the mountains, valleys and other details in the different continents. I would play a game with myself, closing my eyes and seeing where I would land, trying to imagine myself travelling and visiting all of these places. Most times, I would land in water. The Pacific Ocean became the most traveled location for my explorative index finger, and I would spin again until it landed on those ridges and bumps that were a clue that I had found some exotic place to explore. It was during my colorful, young excursions that I heard that curious word spoken for the first time; foreign. All of those impossible places finally had a name, and it filled me with wonder! I wanted to get out and see it all, experience everything! In my young mind I could visit Egypt, the Island of Matthew, and Antarctica all in a day, and then come back home and sleep in my bed. If my finger could do it, then so could I!
            My father worked in the military, so as I pointed to a place he would tell me about it. He traveled to these foreign countries, bringing me back trinkets and coins, little windows into these magically foreign worlds. I saw pictures of diverse people and places that helped make these countries real. Running my finger over the globe, I could start to understand what these names meant. Curacao was where I got that wooden Gecko. That bill of money came from Thailand.
            Growing up, my understanding of foreign grew up with me. I heard adults speaking openly -my father especially- about foreign policy. Israel, Kuwait and Mexico; the names that I had run my fingers across as a child became complex ideas that confused me. Why were we worried about people crossing the border? Why couldn't those people share the land instead of fighting over it?
            The foreign countries that I loved started to change. “Made in China,” became threatening to the economy. That great continent of Africa became frightening with disease like malaria. There was SARS, the Bird Flu, war over oil and religion. I started to question my own hopes and dreams. Is it safe to travel to all of these places? Is it really worth the risk?
            Then, everything changed in an instant.
            I was in the fourth grade. Our teacher was a little late getting to class, so we started to get a little anxious. Finally, she rushed in and turned on the television. We had never watched television in our class for anything, so we got excited. But, that excitement was quickly replaced with confusion and fear. The images on the television were not the funny cartoons we were all used to, what she was showing us where the those twin towers of the World Trade Center, and they were burning.
            Over the next few years, foreign became a dark word as our country tightened its borders and restricted access. Patriotism was as high as it could go, and anything that went against it was an enemy. Confused and afraid, I began to fear the word that had once been my childhood friend.
            Even my little hometown in Illinois was affected. Soon, soldiers were being sent off to fight a formless enemy. Terror wasn't quite synonymous, but it began to come closer to describing the fear of foreign lands. Later my father too would be sent off to fight. Foreign became tangible to me that day, more than it had ever been through a wooden gecko.
            But high school would help me grasp the concept a little better. In my freshman year, I got the opportunity to visit Europe with the People to People: Student Ambassador program. We visited six countries over the course of twenty days, meeting people and seeing things that were far beyond our young imagination.
Finally, I was getting the chance to see the places that I had imagined visiting as a child. I visited the tops of mountains in the Alps, the historic city of Zurich, the Black Forest of Germany, Paris, Stonehenge, etc. It was a childhood-dream come true! But, one event would really change the way I looked at the foreign people and cultures.
We had been pulling weeds along the river for a couple of hours with the German high school students, each of us sticking to our friends and language groups. We talked among ourselves about them and their school, nothing bad, but it made us think that they too were talking about us. What were they saying? What were they thinking?
As we wrapped up the service project, I sat on the edge of a truck to take off the thick rubber boots and heavy leather overalls that protected my clothing from the mud and debris. Still nothing, no interaction. I slowly realized that we were the strange foreigners here, and started to think that this exercise in cross cultural mingling would be a failure.
Then, someone pulled out a football (soccer ball in American) and started juggling it with their feet. I can't remember from which side the ball came, or who started kicking it. But soon, a small group was circling around to join in. I looked up from where I was sitting to watch as a few kids from our group started to juggle with them. Within minutes, everyone from the two groups was crowded around these five or six boys. The languages and cultures ceased to exist, as we all laughed and cheered them on and, for a moment, we were all just people. Not a foreigner among us.
Growing up, I learned a war story that reminded me of my own cultural experience. It was in the dirty, dangerous and miserable trench warfare of WWI. The allied forces were fighting the Germans deep into the cold of December 1914; neither side advancing across the muddy wasteland.
The Pope, pleading for peace, urged the warring forces to institute a ceasefire as Christmas neared, but neither of them were willing to make an official armistice. So, the troops kept fighting.
Then, on Christmas Eve, the British forces of Ypres heard singing from the German camp across the field; Christmas Carols. Touched, they waited until they finished, and sang one of their own carols back across to them. This continued late into the night (Harris).
The next morning, Christmas morning, the British scouts alerted their troops that the Germans were advancing. They all snapped to attention, readying themselves for anything.
When they were close enough to see, the Brits noticed that the Germans appeared unarmed. So, they sent a group forward to meet them. The Germans greeted them with a hearty "Merry Christmas," perhaps a few of the only words they could speak in their broken English. Instead of fighting with guns and grenades, they exchanged cigars and plum puddings.
This same scene played out across the continent, some sang carols, and others (much like my group) played a match of soccer. Everywhere, Christmas won out over war.
"The so-called Christmas Truce of 1914 came only five months after the outbreak of war in Europe and was one of the last examples of the outdated notion of chivalry between enemies in warfare. It was never repeated—future attempts at holiday ceasefires were quashed by officers’ threats of disciplinary action—but it served as heartening proof, however brief, that beneath the brutal clash of weapons, the soldiers’ essential humanity endured" (Christmas)
After High School I lived in France for a couple of years on a mission trip. "In the trenches" as one may say, I met with all sorts of people from many different cultures and backgrounds. I sat and learned from them what they love and what they worry about. I got to know their families and became their friend. And I learned something interesting about life. Beneath all of the differences of culture, language, and government I saw that that the people that I spoke with were just like me. I realized that they were just as human as me, and that the concept of foreign was just a silly title that man made up to describe “not like me.”
In France, the word for “Foreign” is “Etrange,” which is the same word for strange or weird. In English, foreign is often taken in this negative connotation as well; foreign goods, foreign tourists, foreigners.
Even I've been taken by this subtle falsehood. We're taught by our parents to beware of strangers. And, while it's true that we all need a certain level of caution, we cannot simply make generalizations about a people or person due to the common stereotype or what is depicted in the news.
In France I met a number of people that wanted to come and visit America. More than a few times I heard a plan that included renting a car and traveling to every state in a month. They had a hard time grasping the immense size of the country because they had never come to visit. Sometimes our ideas on foreign countries and people are something like this; we can't possibly understand something without firsthand experience. France was just "foreign" until I lived there and got a feel for the culture. Now that I've been there, I can't call it foreign anymore. I've been a part of it, and it a part of me.
Foreign is more than just alien or different; it means potential; it means a celebration of what makes each and every one of us unique. This world is full of amazing cultures, exotic foods, beautiful sites, and fantastic people of every background. To let yourself be blind to all of this wonderful diversity is to deny yourself the pure joy of human life.
I like to think that "Humanity" offers a direct antonym to "Foreign." Humanity like sharing a moment with a soccer ball when it’s the only form of communication you have; humanity like the charity of serving others worse off than you, no matter their background; humanity like that of soldiers that put aside their differences to celebrate their similarities.
 I still love looking at the globe and imagining visiting those impossible to pronounce foreign countries that surround it! Today, I do it mostly on Google Maps. I can trace my steps across it, see the places I've been and the places I that I hope to visit in the future. Though I'm no longer the naive child with no concept of the world, I've still made it full circle back to where I started. I still want to visit all of these foreign lands, but now I want to visit them so that they will no longer be foreign to me.



Work Cited:
Harris, Bridget “The Chirstmas Truce of 1914.” www.theepochtimes.com. 25 Dec. 2009. 
Web. 22 Jan. 2015.

“Christmas Truce of 1914.” History.com. A+E Networks. 2009. Web. 16 Jan 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment